Joe Tokarz as SHREK at Titusville Playhouse. Photo by Doug Lebo
By GEORGETTE SPELVIN
Ten reasons to go see “Shrek” now through Sept. 10 at the Titusville Playhouse:
1. Joe “Shrek” Tokarz starts where Judas Iscariot left off last season, in a tour de force.
2. The direction is on the money throughout the show. You nailed it, Steven Heron.
3. Sterling “Donkey” Lovett has a role that allows him to flex his comedic and musical
muscles. No ass, this actor. More of him, please.
4. The way things look, with sets that are exactly what is required here; not overdone and
colorful. The same for costumes.
5. The way things sound. Curious about those dead spots at the Emma Parrish? Go to 2016.
It’s fixed and flawless.
6. Sarah “Fiona” Briggs, whose voice is gloriously expressive, as is her acting as well.
7. Chris “Farquaad” Rye, the ultimate whining weasel; moreover, on his knees.
8. The company. Harmonies are faultless, acting is dandy and humor is apparent. This is a
group of people that really seems to have fun with this play.
9. Professionalism that is apparent every step of the way, a resounding start to the season in
North Brevard. If you like to watch people who enjoy themselves, this musical is for you.
10. Joe Tokarz. Just to remind you. Just perfect.
To read an earlier Brevard Culture story about Titusville Playhouse producing “Shrek,” click here.
“Shrek the Musical” runs through Sept. 10 at Titusville Playhouse, 301 Julia St., Titusville. It performs 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays and Sept. 7; and 2 p.m. Sundays and Sept. 2. Tickets are $23 to $29. Call 321-268-1125 or visit TitusvillePlayhouse.com or click on their ad.